April 9, 2012

Thou shalt not judge


My Book Of Days, hosted by EffyTheWild

Yes, as a matter of fact it has been some time since I have posted about my BoD 2012. I won’t bother to regale y’all with any excuses lame or otherwise… we both know it was because I just didn’t take the time to do it.

This brings me to this current post, that is if you are reading it now as opposed to later. I had this page spread that turned out pretty cool, if I do say so myself and I am saying so.  I had doodled some faces while lounging on the sofa with my feet up, no bon bons were involved. I drew them with different colors of pencil and they are just random faces from my hand. Later while I was goofing around the studio waiting for a postcard to dry or what not, I pulled out my BoD and tossed the faces on it…

hummm wondered I, what if they were one behind the other and flipped to reveal some secret type of journaling.  But of course it’s not so secret and it’s something I need to try and remember when I am looking at and admiring someone else’s Art (like yours)

Here is the full double page spread from 3-15


Please note that at the bottom of each face is a word that I wrote in white, barely visible and those words when read together along with the sentences on the back of the faces help to answer the impossible question that was posed: Who do I measure myself against?


First face, word: Me


It flips down to reveal: the way I am now


Second face, word: Myself


Flipping down to reveal: the way I expect myself to become



Third face, word: Or
  
Flipping down to reveal: the way I could have been if I had been someone else

Forth face, word: I


Journaled around this last face: the way I used to be when I was young

I believe that it is impossible to compare our work or ourselves with anyone else’s Art or abilities or looks or whatever. We are not Them and They are not I.

How awesome is that… Thou shalt not judge (even thy self). Just think of how much pressure is released in this simple statement.

Who do I measure myself against? Me the way I am now, Myself the way I expect myself to become, Or the way I could have been if I were someone else, I the way I used to be when I was young.

Who do I measure myself against? Me, myself or I

Happy Art’in y’all

1 comment:

Effy said...

Wow....I LOVE it. What an innovative way to use faces! xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails